1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
4 medium zucchini
2 small cans of organic tomato sauce
Sweet basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder (or fresh garlic & thyme)
1/2 tsp salt
1 c part-skim ricotta
1/3 c part-skim or 2% shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350. Add the lean ground beef to a large skillet. Lightly season with garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Cook over medium heat until brown. Remove from heat but keep in the skillet.
2. Pour the tomato sauce into a small sauce pan and warm over medium heat. Add 1 tsp of sweet basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Add ½ tsp salt. Stir until spices are thoroughly mixed throughout. Add the seasoned sauce to the skillet with the meat.
3. Wash the zucchini, chop off the ends, and remove the peel. Very carefully slice the zucchini into strips. If you have a mandolin, feel free to use it. Boil the zucchini in a pot of hot water for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
4. In a non-greased 9/13 baking dish, begin the assembly of the lasagna. Start by pouring half of the meat sauce into the pan. Next add a layer of Zucchini. Top the zucchini with half of the ricotta. If you’re having difficulty spreading the ricotta around, use the back of a spoon. Pour the remaining meat sauce, and then add the zucchini, followed by the ricotta. Top the ricotta with 1/3 c mozzarella cheese and ¼ c Parmesan cheese. Lightly sprinkle Italian seasoning and garlic powder over the top of the lasagna.
5. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Cooling allows the lasagna to set and makes it easier to cut and serve in slices.
(Makes 6 full lean and green servings, 1 healthy fat & 2 condiments per serving)